This Blog is also available as an RSS Feed


Historic Attractions in Bogolyubovo

It is said that the founding of Bogolyubovo was due to a vision that Prince Andrei Bogolyubsky had of Our Lady, while spending an evening next to the mouth of the Nerl River. He commissioned the construction of his palace, which was built between 1158 and 1165, including the Church of the Intercession of the Nerl and fortifications. The town became known as Bogolyubovo, and quickly grew in numbers. Unfortunately, the fall of the beautiful city came as swiftly as its creation.

Prince Andrei Bogolyubsky ruled for seventeen years, but was murdered in the year 1174. In 1177, Prince Gleb of Ryazan ransacked the town, and what he didn't destroy during his invasion, the Mongols did during the 1230’s. What remained of the palace was taken over by the monastery, and from the thirteenth century onwards, Bogolyubovo has remained a small village with an estimated population of approximately four thousand residents. All the structures commissioned by Prince Andrei Bogolyubsky were constructed out of stone, which was very unusual for the time, but also assisted in preserving some noteworthy sites for tourists to visit. Located a mere ten kilometers from the city of Vladmir, the village is easy to reach with roads and railroads leading to the village. The Church of the Intercession of the Nerl is one of the most popular attractions in the village. The exterior is a breathtaking example of the architectural capabilities of the time in Russia. In 1992, the church was added to the UNESCO World Heritage Site listings. An iconographer was also commissioned by Prince Andrei Bogolyubsky to depict the apparition that appeared to him, and it is now known as the Bogolubskaya Icon of the Theotokos.

Other noteworthy sites to visit while in Bogolyubovo, is the Bogolyubovo Convent. Even though some of the structures were only built during the thirteenth century, and come even more recently, the Staircase Tower is particularly interesting as it is an original part of the Prince's palace. The Convent is also home to a small museum displaying artifacts and items from the past, as well as the Cathedral of the Bogolyubovo icon of Our Lady that was constructed in 1855 to 1856. The Church of St. Jehoiakim and St. Anna are also worth the visit, and if visitors want to cool off a little after exploring this historical town, the local beaches and recommended areas are the Klyazma and Nerl River.


User Comments & Reviews: 0 Comment(s)

Combine Flights?

New Business Users, read more and join on the Business Affiliates page.

New Individual Users, join on the Forum Users Registration page.