Go Back   Russia Channel Discussion Forum > Culture > Literature & Film

Notices

Russian Cinema

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25th July 2004, 00:57

Hmm. Interesting. I always wanted to read Moskva-Petushki, but, because of different circumstances, never did, and now I finding out that even foreigner read this..mm..I'd say very russian piece of literature.
That's it, I'm going to find it and read it as soon as possible.
Old 28th July 2004, 18:52

Russian Cinema

Unfortunately, there are only a few examples of Russian film that I have seen, but I was interested in the topic and decided to put in 'my two cents worth'

I enjoyed "Prisoner of the Mountain" a good deal. I also liked "Brat", "East/West" and "The Quickie" - All of which were Sergei Bodrov Jr. films. I enjoyed his acting and felt he brought the characters he played to.. Well, to life. Needless to say I was a little shocked to find out about his untimely death. Perhaps his father (director Sergei Bodrov) shares the same creativity, but his movies are a bit rare here, also (though I think he did direct "The Quickie"?).

As far as actors go, I also like Oleg Menchikov - Isn't he doing stage productions now? In London?

Aside from Bodrov pieces, I liked "Thief", "Burnt by the Sun" and "Moscow Does Not Believe in Tears" as well.

Keep in mind that the actors/films etc. I have seen may be more than a bit outdated

One thing I feel that is included in a good deal of Russian cinema (at least in the works I have seen) is irony. I enjoy irony in art a great deal, it almost feels like poetic justice
Old 28th July 2004, 20:06

Quote:
Originally posted by Balamut
Hmm. Interesting. I always wanted to read Moskva-Petushki, but, because of different circumstances, never did, and now I finding out that even foreigner read this..mm..I'd say very russian piece of literature.
That's it, I'm going to find it and read it as soon as possible.
I would recommend it ! Funny as hell in places, but it gets much darker towards the end.

I read in a review, that one of his girlfriends kicked him out because when he ran out of vodka, he woudl drink her perfume ! But the book has something of this crazed take on life too.
Old 4th August 2004, 22:41

http://www.rusf.ru/english/
Check this out. Planty of russian Sci-Fi books on english.
Don't know about translation quality though.
Old 3rd March 2006, 20:03

Anyone seen "Night watch"? It's in theaters now, and is a very good Russian Sci-Fi / Fantasy movie ("Lord of the Rings" meets "Prophecy"). It's been out on DVD for some time, but since Fox bought all American distribution rights, they have mandated to stop making NTSC formatted dvds of it. The disk has been slowly disappearing from even Russian stores in America. And Fox kept postponing the release until limited release on friday, while sequel "Day Watch" is already out in Russia. Both installments beat American movies in Russia. And the studio is insisting on filming the 3rd part in English. Ain't US movie studios wonderful
Old 17th March 2006, 12:36

Some reviews on a few recently released Russian movies:

http://www.russiablog.org/culture/
Old 18th August 2011, 19:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain View Post
Another classic, - Vertov's "Man With A Movie Camera"...was quite revolutionary in its day, early 20th century. Has really authentic footage of post-revolution Russia and the new vision.

Also "Solaris" by Tarkovsky a must-see.

R
well i haven't seen the Russian Movies in my life.i really love the romantic Gypsy people movie and the Russian love letter