Go Back   Russia Channel Discussion Forum > Human Rights > Human Rights in Russia

Notices

Official racism in Russia?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29th June 2002, 20:51

Police and other law enforcement officials routinely subject racial and ethnic minorities to harassment and intimidation and often respond with indifference to racist attacks. Victims of racist attacks frequently complain that law enforcement officials are reluctant to register attacks as racist or fail to understand the serious implications of racially-motivated violence. Police often advise the victims to report the attack as 'hooliganism'.

"Until the authorities address racist attitudes within law enforcement agencies, they will continue to be part of the problem, rather than the solution," Amnesty International stated.

When Adefers Dessu, an Ethiopian refugee, and his wife Sarah were beaten by 20-year-olds armed with chains in Moscow in February 2001, the medical report stated that their injuries were the result of a ''fall'', while the attackers were registered by the police officer on duty as being minors. Similarly, in October 2001 when a crowd of 300 youths brandishing iron bars attacked a Moscow market staffed by ethnic minorities and left an Armenian, an Indian and a Tajik dead, initial police statements referred to the perpetrators as 'football hooligans'. In the Siberian city of Tiumen, a series of seven attacks on a synagogue last year were termed 'young people's hooliganism'. Authorities have done nothing in response to racist statements by public figures in Russia's regions and anti-Semitic publications are openly on sale even in the capital, Moscow.

http://web.amnesty.org/ai.nsf/Index/...IAN+FEDERATION
Old 4th August 2002, 10:17

Quote:
Originally posted by Kolya
Police and other law enforcement officials routinely subject racial and ethnic minorities to harassment and intimidation and often respond with indifference to racist attacks. Victims of racist attacks frequently complain that law enforcement officials are reluctant to register attacks as racist or fail to understand the serious implications of racially-motivated violence. Police often advise the victims to report the attack as 'hooliganism'.

"Until the authorities address racist attitudes within law enforcement agencies, they will continue to be part of the problem, rather than the solution," Amnesty International stated.

When Adefers Dessu, an Ethiopian refugee, and his wife Sarah were beaten by 20-year-olds armed with chains in Moscow in February 2001, the medical report stated that their injuries were the result of a ''fall'', while the attackers were registered by the police officer on duty as being minors. Similarly, in October 2001 when a crowd of 300 youths brandishing iron bars attacked a Moscow market staffed by ethnic minorities and left an Armenian, an Indian and a Tajik dead, initial police statements referred to the perpetrators as 'football hooligans'. In the Siberian city of Tiumen, a series of seven attacks on a synagogue last year were termed 'young people's hooliganism'. Authorities have done nothing in response to racist statements by public figures in Russia's regions and anti-Semitic publications are openly on sale even in the capital, Moscow.

http://web.amnesty.org/ai.nsf/Index/...IAN+FEDERATION
Yeah we are going straight to Hell, my friend
Old 25th August 2002, 17:17

Look at the Chinese in Russia

From BBC,"We are tourists... we have come as tourists. The purpose of this trip is looking around and doing investigations on this side of the border to find some opportunities," Mr Liu explained.

"Now it is rather difficult to do business in Russia," he warned though.

It is indeed difficult to do business on a tourist visa, and the police impose heavy fines for those they catch breaking the rules.

But the rewards are too great to ignore as Wang Baoling, chairman of the Khabarovsk Sino-Russian Business Association told me.

"From where we are to Yakutsk is about 800 kilometres. It takes just over an hour to get there by plane. That's a very cold place but there are excellent business opportunities. Goods sell fast at high prices. Chinese people go there without proper procedures," he said.

But the authorities are cracking down.

Despite the freezing conditions Khabarovsk's open markets are open and business is brisk. Most of the traders appear to be Chinese, and one of them, Mr Lu, described a recent encounter with the police.

"The patrolling police came to demand money from me. I said I had no money, so they said they would fine me. When I said I should have a receipt, he said 'Why do you ask for a receipt?' and then hit me," Mr Lu said.

"When he finished hitting, he said this was Russia not China, you have to obey Russian law," he added.

Old 6th July 2003, 15:36

Post My Letter to President Putin

Dear President Putin,

Sir, It is with the utmost sadness that I read of the increasing amounts of racist attacks taking place in your country. As a young man of mixed parentage It fills me with dread that such atrocities are on the increase in your great nation.

I have long been an admirer of Russia and it is my dream to visit Moscow and see the Great City of St Petersburg. It is my hope that soon the day will come when I can photograph the Kremlin and St Basils Cathedral, and take in the City's museums and art galleries. Yet now, I am afraid to travel for my safety.

I write a website about the history of black people in Britain. It seeks to provide information for the whole community regardless of skin colour or ethnicity to show just how well integrated societies work. I aim to inform the whole community about positive contributions made by black people who have lived in Britain and Ireland.

My attention was drawn to this subject by a program about racism in football on MTV Europe. Yet it seems the problem also exists in wider society.

Today Russia, has many African Footballers and I see that racism of the football stadiums is growing. In Britain in the 70's and 80's we had a similar problem. however today around 20% of the English Premierships Footballers are Black. We have players like

Theiry Henry - Arsenal/France
Patric Vierra - Arsenal/France
Emile Heskey - Liverpool / England
David James - West Ham / England
Henrick Laarson - Celtic /Sweden
Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink - Chelsea / Holland

The wealth created by the talent of such Players is undeniable. The impression that Russias black players give is that they are very unhappy with their present predicament. It seems they feel unwanted and unprotected, a very sad situation. I'm sure that Russian football could be similarly enhanced, but not in the climate of fear that exists today.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3047420.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/2131214.stm

For ten years now I have waited to visit Russia and when you took up the Presidency I was filled with hope that a better more open Russia would be created. I still have that hope, If anyone can create such a vision I believe it is you Mr Putin. Sir, do not allow extremist white nationalists to get a strong grip in your society their ideology could poison the minds of a whole generation and put International trade and relations severely at risk.

So I ask you Sir,

1) what will be done about these people who spread hate, will they be allowed to continue?
2) Are the Police above reproach , and what measures and procedures are in place to weed out racist collusion from within the force?
3) Is the Criminal Justice system prepared to make an example of Racists and offer heavy sentences for attacks on foreigners?
4) Will you make this a pressing issue for the future stability of Russia?

I trust that you are a man of suitable integrity to deal adequately with this problem affecting the status of your Great and proud nation.

I thank you for your time

Yours Sincerely

Phil Gregory

Editor The Black Presence in Britain Website.-http://www.blackpresence.co.uk
Old 8th July 2003, 15:54

Re: My Letter to President Putin

Quote:
Originally posted by BlackBriton
Dear President Putin,

Sir, It is with the utmost sadness that I read of the increasing amounts of racist attacks taking place in your country. As a young man of mixed parentage It fills me with dread that such atrocities are on the increase in your great nation.

I have long been an admirer of Russia and it is my dream to visit Moscow and see the Great City of St Petersburg. It is my hope that soon the day will come when I can photograph the Kremlin and St Basils Cathedral, and take in the City's museums and art galleries. Yet now, I am afraid to travel for my safety.

I write a website about the history of black people in Britain. It seeks to provide information for the whole community regardless of skin colour or ethnicity to show just how well integrated societies work. I aim to inform the whole community about positive contributions made by black people who have lived in Britain and Ireland.

My attention was drawn to this subject by a program about racism in football on MTV Europe. Yet it seems the problem also exists in wider society.

Today Russia, has many African Footballers and I see that racism of the football stadiums is growing. In Britain in the 70's and 80's we had a similar problem. however today around 20% of the English Premierships Footballers are Black. We have players like

Theiry Henry - Arsenal/France
Patric Vierra - Arsenal/France
Emile Heskey - Liverpool / England
David James - West Ham / England
Henrick Laarson - Celtic /Sweden
Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink - Chelsea / Holland

The wealth created by the talent of such Players is undeniable. The impression that Russias black players give is that they are very unhappy with their present predicament. It seems they feel unwanted and unprotected, a very sad situation. I'm sure that Russian football could be similarly enhanced, but not in the climate of fear that exists today.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3047420.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/2131214.stm

For ten years now I have waited to visit Russia and when you took up the Presidency I was filled with hope that a better more open Russia would be created. I still have that hope, If anyone can create such a vision I believe it is you Mr Putin. Sir, do not allow extremist white nationalists to get a strong grip in your society their ideology could poison the minds of a whole generation and put International trade and relations severely at risk.

So I ask you Sir,

1) what will be done about these people who spread hate, will they be allowed to continue?
2) Are the Police above reproach , and what measures and procedures are in place to weed out racist collusion from within the force?
3) Is the Criminal Justice system prepared to make an example of Racists and offer heavy sentences for attacks on foreigners?
4) Will you make this a pressing issue for the future stability of Russia?

I trust that you are a man of suitable integrity to deal adequately with this problem affecting the status of your Great and proud nation.

I thank you for your time

Yours Sincerely

Phil Gregory

Editor The Black Presence in Britain Website.-http://www.blackpresence.co.uk
You're not going to actually mail this to Putin are you? It's a joke, no? Racism is not the problem in Russia- poverty is. Have you ever noticed that the richer the nation, the fewer problems it has? You might as well write a letter telling Putin to better the Russian economy.