Paveletsky Rail Terminal
The Paveletsky Rail Terminal was originally called Saratov Railway Station after a village of Pavelets, but after the First World War it was changed to the name it has today. The Paveletsky Terminal is connected to the Domodedovo Airport via an aero express train. Domodedovo is one of the main international and domestic airports in Russia and sees over 15 million passengers a year.
A. Krasovsky, an architect, finished the elaborate main building of the Paveletsky Terminal in 1900. Before all the building took place, the city authorities had to be notified and a group of men made up of well-known engineers, industrialists and constructors came together. They took time to plan the Railway terminal properly, ensuring there would be appropriate heating systems to keep the passengers comfortable.
The station was constructed in harmony with the architectural fashion of that tsar era. They had to take into account the different social classes and ensure there was an area set out specifically for the elite class and the lower level passengers. The operation hall, which was in the center of the building, separated rooms that were allocated for first and second rated passengers from third class passengers.
Apart from the main hall, there were service rooms, royal gala rooms and exit points that led to the platforms. There were also booking offices, entrances, a luggage department, telegraph, halls for the public, refreshment rooms and medical stores that were in the Paveletsky Terminal.
Later, in the 1980's, Soviet architects renovated the Paveletsky Terminal, but preserved the old architectural forms as part of history. The Paveletsky Terminal was made more comfortable and became more convenient for passengers than what it had previously been. Although Paveletsky Rail Terminal is rated as one of the nine main terminals in the capital city, Moscow, it is also the smallest of them all.
The Paveletsky Railway Terminal is also well known for its participation in transporting the deceased Lenin's body on January 23, 1924. The Lenin Funeral Train that was used to transport the body is still a permanent exhibit at the Rail Terminal Museum. After this momentous occasion the Saratovskaya square was given a new name Leninskaya Square, after the Russian leader.